Thanksgiving is on Thursday and I saved the best for last from my Thanksgiving Menu :
Herb Roasted Turkey
1 Reynolds Oven Bag
1 tbls flour
1 stick butter
6 fresh bay leaves
4 stalks celery, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 lemons, zested
12 fresh sage leaves
salt and pepper
12 lb turkey, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt butter and bay leaves. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Freeze for about 15 minutes so it returns to solid form.
3. Shake flour in the bag and put it in your roasting pan. Add half of your celery and onions to the bag.
4. In a large bowl, mix the remaining celery and onion with the lemon zest, sage leaves and salt and pepper. Remove neck and giblets from the turkey. Stuff the turkey under the breast and the neck the with the veggie mixture. This will add aromatics to the turkey and round the shape of the turkey out for uniform browning.
5. Rub turkey with the solid sage butter. Close the bag with the nylon tie provided. Cut six half-inch slits in the top and tuck the ends of the bag in the pan. Bake for 3 hours.
6. Cut the bag open and bake for another half hour to brown the turkey fully. Allow the turkey to rest for 20 minutes before carving to let the juices soak back in.