This is perfect light and tangy dish to start off the year healthy and economical. I mean, my meat and potatoes husband even liked it!
Pick N Save had cod on sale and I am pairing it with coupons and coming up with the tastiest money saving around! It is normally sale for $9.99/lb. and I got it for $4.99/lb. So, I grabbed a bunch of both to make my featured recipe today:
Seared Cod with Blood Orange Glaze
Four 6-ounce-thick cod fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup orange juice
1 orange, zested, supremed and coarsely chopped
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Remove the fish from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
3. Coat a large saute pan with olive oil and bring the pan to a high heat.
4. Pat the fish dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt.
5. When the oil is very hot but not smoking, gently add the fish to the pan. DO NOT try to move the fillets. After 2 to 3 minutes, shake the pan gently and the fish should unstick itself. If the pan was hot enough, it will release. If not, using a fish spatula, GENTLY scrape it from the bottom of the pan. Cook the fish for 1 more minute and then turn it over, placing it on a wire rack set in a sheet tray. Transfer to the oven and cook until cooked through, another 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Ditch the oil from the pan and add the orange juice, zest, chopped oranges, sugar, vinegar, thyme and a pinch of salt. Bring the liquid to a boil (BTB), reduce it to a simmer (RTS) and reduce the liquid by half. Taste and adjust the seasoning. The sauce should have a great tangy, sweet and sour mix.
7. Spoon the sauce over the seared cod and serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (12.5 ounces).
Percent daily values based on custom values.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (24%) 78.47
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8.88g 15%
Saturated Fat 1.32g 12%
Cholesterol 99.33mg 50%
Sodium 1537.18mg 64%
Potassium 1161.33mg 33%
Total Carbohydrates 18.95g 9%
Fiber 1.69g 6%
Protein 42.09g 66%
Recipe Type: Healthy, Light Meal, Main Course, Seafood
Author: Ann Burrell
Source: The Food Network
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/seared-cod-with-blood-orange-glaze-recipe/index.html
Recipe Cost: $11.62 ($5.62 on sale)
Serving Cost: $2.91 ($1.41 on sale)
Search for Coupons
I am posting this menu plan along with I'm an Organizing Junkie and $5 Dinners .