Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chickpea Popcorn

There is nothing like a big bowl of buttery salty popcorn...unless you are like me, and carb sensitive and it gives you a headache. I found the perfect substitute on Dr. Oz's website. Instead of using salt and butter, this snack derives its flavor from spices and olive oil. It isn't exactly the same but you get the same crunch payoff:-) Here is how you do it:

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees:


Then, rinse the chickpeas and spread them on a baking pan: 


Add a teaspoon each of garlic powder, cumin and oregano and drizzle with olive oil: 

Put it all in the oven:

Bake for 50 minutes: 

And here's what you get:-)

And here is the recipe and the stats: 

Chickpea Popcorn
Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp olive oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.

2. Mix chickpeas with all ingredients. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or a bit longer until they’re extra crispy.

Servings: 4

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (3.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on custom values.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 161.79
Calories From Fat (26%) 41.34
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.75g 8%
Saturated Fat 0.6g 5%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 319.1mg 13%
Potassium 206.24mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 25.03g 12%
Fiber 4.96g 17%
Sugar 0.2g
Protein 5.51g 9%

Recipe Type: Bean, Healthy, Snack

Source
Source: Dr. Oz
Web Page: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/italian-chickpea-popcorn


Recipe Cost: $1.52
Serving Cost: $0.38

5 comments:

Jen said...

I really like this idea. I may have to try these... I love chick peas.

Liz Mays said...

I wish I was carb-sensitive! However, I am NUTS about chickpeas so I definitely want to try these!

Jolene said...

Oh wow!!! This sounds tasty, I am going to have to try this. This will be great for diabetics too.

Candi said...

Love the new you :) I've seen these on pinterest, can't wait to try them. Next week I'm trying a raw-vegan meal plan. Should be interesting.

Dianna said...

That sounds really good! I love roasted chickpeas.

Oddly, some pumpkin seeds I roasted this fall with olive oil and plenty of salt turned out tasting uncannily like popcorn, too.


View My Stats
Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's For Dinner?

 
Powered by Blogger