A new lifestyle requires new tweaks to a family favorite. This one features all of the changes that I have made in my silence over the last couple months. I have lost 50 pounds so far however, my medical issues still plague me. So, the next step was giving up dairy and gluten and I have gone organic. I feel fantastic and the weight is melting off! Not to mention, the organic ingredients to help with my system toxicity. And, they are still yummy!
G-F/D-F Apple Blue Berry Waffles
3 cup GF flour (see recipe below)
1/2 cup Ground Flax Seed
2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 organic, anti-biotic-free eggs, separated
3 1/2 cup Soy Milk (non-genetically modified)
1 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce
8 oz Organic Frozen Blueberries
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the grains, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
2. In another medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir in milk and applesauce. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will seem thin...resist the urge to add more grains).
3. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites into grains and yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. Do not overmix.
4. Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups onto grids of a preheated, lightly sprayed waffle iron. Add 6 blueberries per waffle. Close lid and do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer's instructions.
5. When done, use a fork to left waffle off the grid. Repeat with the remaining batter and blueberries. Serve warm.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serving size: 1/20 of a recipe (5.6 ounces).
Percent daily values based on custom values.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (23%) 47.83
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5.63g 10%
Saturated Fat 0.83g 8%
Cholesterol 42.3mg 21%
Sodium 247.38mg 10%
Potassium 272.9mg 8%
Total Carbohydrates 33.97g 16%
Fiber 3.74g 12%
Protein 8.81g 14%
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Brunch, Gluten-free, Healthy, Organic
Author: Susan Ewing
Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
Yield: 1 pound