Saturday, August 9, 2008

Food from Wisconsin


Since I am a foodie, I thought that I would write about the wonderful food that Wisconsin has to offer. There is the obvious: cheese and beer but beyond that, there are many culinary excursions to be had in the Badger state:-)

On any given Friday, in any given town in Wisconsin, there is Friday Night Fish Fry. Just like every regional delicacies, there are a lot of different recipes and takes on them but the basics include: Fish (cod, perch, walleye) that is breaded and deep fried with tartar sauce on the side, coleslaw, french fries and rye bread. Yummo!! My favorite is Serb Hall on Milwaukee's South Side but ask any Wisconsinite and they can tell you where to find theirs.

The Wisconsin State Fair is in full swing and an afternoon would not be complete without one of their cream puffs!! Delicatable!!

Door County has cherries and cranberries are grown all over the state. My favorite is the Warren's Cranberry Festival . I go by their every September on the way up to Eau Claire to get my daughter.

And finally, on your way to Green Bay to watch the Packers, stop in Sheboygan for a big juicy bratwurst! It is the quintesential Wisconsin experience!!

6 comments:

Candid Carrie said...

Susie ... Fabulous job, Sheboygan had Brat Days this past weekend and the BoDeans played an open air concert! Don't you just love all the festivals and food our State has to offer?

Thank you for writing this, you've summed it up eloquently. I am hungry now so I need to "eat bakery" ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting ;) I'll add your link to my roll!

JWilson said...

It's just about lunch time and I'm thinking a brat sounds very good. :)

Teri said...

I must be from Wisconsin without knowing it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese and brats.

Anonymous said...

Except for the fish...you are making me HUNGRY!!!

I could go for the cranberries and a brat....okay, but not together!!! ;)

thotlady said...

I came over from Camp Candid Carrie.

I originally hail from Wisconsin by way of Minnesota. I am an avid Packer fan. Don' mention the whole Brett Favre thing to me.

I miss going to the State Fair. Love, love, love the cream puffs.

I love beer, brats and cheese too. Can you tell I miss Wisconsin.

My immediate family all still live there. My mom and brother are in Waukesha, my sister in Wauwatosa and my other sister in the Delafield area.


View My Stats
Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's For Dinner?

 
Powered by Blogger