Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fall Plants

It's time for Gardening Thursday. Today, I am going to show you around my fall planters.

When the cold weather strikes, it is important to take those summer plants out and replace them with hardy falls plants. You saw my Fence Garden a couple weeks ago and this is the one place that I do have a 3-season plan (white pots for spring and summer, orange pots for fall and green pots for winter).

On the ends, I have ornamental Kale. I love the deep purple color and it adds a different texture to the arrangments.


And of course, you have to do mum in the fall. They are colorful and hardy. The cooler it gets, the better they do. When buying mums, make sure to get plants that are packed tight together and still have a lot of closed buds. Also, make sure you keep these guys moist. They do not like to be dry. Follow these few easy instructions, and you can enjoy them well into the season.





I really like this 3-season plan and I would like to duplicate it in the other sides of the house. So, over the next couple years, I am going to be buying up large pots for the Bush Garden and hanging pots and small pots for the Tropical Garden . Wish me luck:-)

11 comments:

Jen said...

You are just so talented.

Unknown said...

You have color coded pots??

I'm gonna start calling you martha

Shell said...

The mums are lovely. I live in apartment. I do wish I had a little garden to have flowers. One day perhaps.

Unknown said...

I love the kale-so pretty!

Frizzy said...

I have only one garden and I call it The dead garden. Seriously, I can't keep anything alive. I try and try but no luck. My mom on the otherhand is a natural. That's one trait I guess I didn't inherit from her. By the way, I love the story of the Jade plant and your Grandmother in Law. She is with you always.

Teri said...

You have such cool ideas. Loving the flowers.

Stephanie said...

thanks for stopping by my blog today! oh and I miss those fall plants down south!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I love your kale. Aren't the colors pretty? You're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the mums!!!

Controlling My Chaos said...

You have so much energy. You make me tired. :)

Controlling My Chaos said...

I never noticed Mums before I read your blog. I saw them for sale all over the place this weekend. Thanks for educating me.

I checked out your recipes and you have some that I'm looking forward to trying. Thanks for the input.


View My Stats
Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's For Dinner?

 
Powered by Blogger