Monday, June 29, 2009

Chicken Pesto Penne

Check me out over at At Work, At Play or At Home All Day talking about girlie stuff:-)
Here, I am doing more menu planning with I'm an Organizing Junkie and finding more deals at Pick N Save for $5 Dinners .

Chicken was on sale for $1.99/lb. at Pick N Save (normally, $4.79/lb.)!! I picked up some up. Check out the recipe below.

Here is what I am serving this week:
Monday: Semi-Homemade Spaghetti (Swim Class Tonight)

Tuesday: Chicken Pesto Penne (see recipe below)

Wednesday: Leftover Buffet (Doctor Appointment and Swim Class:-)

Thursday: Grilled Brats (Also on sale at Pick N Save)

Friday: Eat Out

Chicken Pesto Penne
Ingredients:
1 lb penne
1 ladle cooking water
1 tbs olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 1/2 lb Chicken, diced
3 cups packed fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
1/4 pine nuts
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground pepper
Directions:
1. Make the penne per the package directions. Reserve 1 ladle of the cooking water for the sauce.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic to a large skillet over medium high heat for one minute. Add chicken and sauté until done.

3. Meanwhile, make the pesto. Process basil, pine nuts, remaining garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until combined. With machine running, gradually add the rest of the olive oil; process until smooth. Stir in Parmesan; season with salt and pepper.

4. Add the reserved ladle of water and the pesto to the chicken. Toss with pasta, top with more cheese and serve.

Servings: 6

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (9.7 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 697.3
Calories From Fat (30%) 209.73
% Daily Value
Total Fat 23.36g 36%
Saturated Fat 3.89g 19%
Cholesterol 69.44mg 23%
Sodium 176.84mg 7%
Potassium 660.52mg 19%
Total Carbohydrates 78.49g 26%
Fiber 4.92g 20%
Sugar 0.77g
Protein 42.03g 84%

Recipe Type: Chicken, Main Course

Source
Author: Susan Ewing

Recipe: $6.64 (on sale for $5.16)
Serving: $1.11 (on sale for $0.86)

16 comments:

More Than Words said...

This is something my family would totally love!!

I really enjoy looking at what your make, and even reading what you are going to make! LOL

debi9kids said...

Great recipe. Sounds quite yummy! Always love pesto recipes :)

EmmaP said...

mmmmm!!! i LOVE PESTO!!!!!

mommytoalot said...

Love Mondays in bloggy land, because I so enjoy getting your recipes.
thanks!

Anonymous said...

mmmm, sounds good!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I wish I could make out a menu and stick to it!!!

Creative Classroom Core said...

My husband always orders a similar dish when we go out for dinner. I will be bookmarking this one!

Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Amy said...

Looks great.

Anonymous said...

What a yummy week!

Karen M. Peterson said...

That penne sounds so good! I'm going to have to try it out!

Donetta said...

This sounds great. I so wish my son and I could have cheese we are both dairy allergic bummer :( but it sounds like a nice start to work off of.
I hope your enjoying swim class.

Sugar Boogers & Tantrums said...

hey Susie! I left you an award on my blog. Have a good 4th

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm on such a pasta kick right now.

Kathy B! said...

This sounds delicious, and the fat content is pretty reasonable, too!!

Talk about a double win. I love pesto but usually shy away because I fear the fat... This I'm going to try!

Hippie Family... said...

what time is dinner?? :)

Controlling My Chaos said...

Ooh, this looks pretty yummy.


View My Stats
Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's For Dinner?

 
Powered by Blogger