Here, I am doing more menu planning with I'm an Organizing Junkie and finding more deals at Pick N Save for $5 Dinners .
This week is a little bit slower outside the house however, my youngest is home two days for teacher convention. So, it will be a little bit busier inside the house. You know I love Pick N Save! They have ground beef on sale for $1.99/lb. (normally $2.93/lb.). I picked up a bunch because...
I am playing along with I Blame My Mother on The Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge (FNCCC). This week the chef of choice is Cat Cora. I am making her Keftedes: Greek Meatballs. The recipe was for 12 but I scaled it down for 6. Come back on Wednesday when I post a picture and our review. Check out the recipe below:-)
Here is everything that I am serving this week:
Monday: Semi-Homemade Spaghetti
Tuesday: Keftedes: Greek Meatballs: check out a picture and my review on Wednesday
Wednesday: Leftovers (Fall Harvest Party at School)
Thursday: Fish and French Fries
Friday: Eat Out (Night Out at a Comedy Club)
Keftedes: Greek Meatballs
1 1/2 slices white bread with crust
1/2 cup milk
1 lb ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 11/16 Tbs finely chopped oregano
1 finely chopped tablespoons mint
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 eggs beaten
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 cup olive oil
Flour, for dusting
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup seeded and small-diced cucumber
1 1/2 cloves minced garlic
1. Dunk bread quickly in milk and press the liquid out to dampen the bread.
2. Combine the beef, bread, onion, garlic, oregano, mint, vinegar, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Take a large spoon of the mixture and roll into a ball until all the mixture has been rolled.
3. In a saute pan, add the olive oil and bring it to 360-degrees F for frying. Dust the balls in flour and add to the oil. Brown on all sides, leaving room in the pan to roll them around. Pull from the pan and drain on paper towels.
4. Serve with pita and cucumber yogurt sauce.
5. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (7.6 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 3 of the recipe's ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (49%) 253.18
% Daily Value
Total Fat 27.97g 43%
Saturated Fat 8.7g 44%
Cholesterol 96.03mg 32%
Sodium 303.47mg 13%
Potassium 689.8mg 20%
Total Carbohydrates 44.46g 15%
Fiber 4.58g 18%
Protein 24.57g 49%
Recipe Type: Beef, Main Course
Author: Cat Cora
Source: The Food Network
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cat-cora/keftedes-greek-meatballs-recipe/index.html
Recipe Cost: $6.94 ($6.00 on sale)
Serving Cost: $1.16 ($1.00 on sale)