Thursday, February 25, 2010

Survial Seeds

I was recently introduced to the term "survival seeds" by a new site called Hometown Seeds. The idea is that if you have a stockpile of seeds, you will always have enough food to feed your family in the event of a crisis. Now, I am not quite as alarmist as that but I do like the idea of having the means to have a full garden for years to come. And for a new gardener, it is a great way to have a variety of things to try in your climate and soil. So, check them out and see what you can grow in your garden this year:-)

Disclaimer: Hometown Seeds is providing me with seed packets as a thank-you for this feature and some ad space. No other compensation was provided and the information and opinions are solely my own.

14 comments:

EmmaP said...

what a great idea. i will have to check it out.

The Blonde Duck said...

That is a really cool idea. I'm really hoping to grow some chiles and peppers this year. We tried to grow jalepenos last year and they never worked!

Dorothy said...

I will check this out..I know I love pumpkin seeds they taste great.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Candi said...

Thanks for sharing this! I did a little "seed-saving" last year with some green beans and when you showed how to test the seeds, I tried it and they sprouted! So something worked :)

Amy said...

You are going to have the best garden ever..

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

How fabulous. I've been wanting to get a garden going, but I have such a black thumb. Maybe I can enlist my green thumbed mama to help me!

mommytoalot said...

Fantastic idea. I'm really hoping to do a garden this year. I think I can do it

Frugal Finds said...

If you saw my DH's tin of seeds you would think he was saving to feed an entire toen in a crisis!

Melissa said...

That's a great idea. I can't wait until we have our own place again and can have a garden.

Donetta said...

Hi Susie
I am not saying this particular co. , but the reputation of said companies is many of the same seed that is a cheep seed. The quality can be very horrid. Make sure you do a strong disclaimer.
I hope your having a great day.
Mine was very full. Thanks for all the encouragement of late.
Sorry to be a cloudy comment of the seed Co.

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

My daughter has big plans for our garden because this is the first spring in our house (our very first yard!).

I'll have to check these guys out because I could go bankrupt with all the seeds she wants.

Momisodes said...

What an interesting concept. I'll have to check it out. I can hardly wait until it's warm enough to do some planting here.

More Than Words said...

Wow, that's interesting! I should invest in some seeds!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.


View My Stats
Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's For Dinner?

 
Powered by Blogger