A couple weeks ago, I promised recipes from my French Menu . Today is my final installment on that promise in publishing my side dishes.
Here they are:
French Onion & Fontina Cheese Soup with Susie’s Homemade Ciabatta Bread
3 tbl olive oil
2 large Vidalia onions
1/2 tsp salt
3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cups beef broth
4 slices Susie's Homemade Ciabatta Bread Croutons (see recipe below)
4 slices Fontina Cheese
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender (about 10 minutes). Add thyme and broth. Simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
2. Divide soup between 4 ovenproof bowls. Add croutons evenly among the bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of cheese.
3. Broil for 4 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and enjoy immediately.
Susie's Homemade Ciabatta Bread
1-1/2 cup water
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbl olive oil
3-1/4 cups flour and more for board dusting
1-1/2 tsp yeast
1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order that they are listed here. (it is really important to keep the yeast away from the wet ingredients until you are ready to mix). Select Dough cycle and Start.
2. The dough will be really, really sticky. Don't be tempted to add more flour because the flour on the board is enough. Divide the dough into two pieces and form them into 3x14 inch ovals. Place the loaves on baking sheets, dimple surface and lightly flour. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Dimple the dough for a second time and bake for 30 minutes.
Leafy Greens with Apples and Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
4 bowls of your choice of leafy greens
1 red apple, thinly sliced
1 tbl shallot, finely chopped
1 tbl apple cider vineagar
1 tbl Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbl olive oil
Fontina cheese, thinly sliced for garnish
Walnuts for garnish
1. Bowl up the leafy greens. Top with apples.
2. In a small bowl, add shallot, vineager, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk briskly while slowly streaming in olive oil.
3. Dress salads with the dressing. Garnish with Fontina cheese and walnuts and serve.