Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Sweet Story

So, I am not writing about chocolate today but about a different kind of sweet.

My aunt and uncle celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary on July 2nd. On July 5th, my aunt succombed to colon cancer and today, we laid her to rest. They were the cutest couple and devoted to each other. When my uncle touched her face, like he had for 59 years before, it was the last time and their wasn't a dry eye in the house. As hard as it was to witness that, it was kind of beautiful. To love someone that strong for that long is something to behold.

The sweetest part of the story happened at the reception afterwards. My uncle said that he went through some old photos in preparation for today. He asked if we wanted to see a picture of his girlfriend. At that moment, he held a picture of my aunt that was taken when they first started dating. How sweet life was for them. After 59 years, he still thought of her as his sweetheart. That is something that I want a piece of.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry for your loss. That is so sweet when you know that someone really truly loved and adored their spouse.

Unknown said...

So sorry for you loss, but what a great story!

Gramma 2 Many said...

What an incredibly beautiful story. We can only dream of being loved so deeply and purely. What a blessing for you to have witnessed such love. Sometimes in our rushed life, we forget to show love to those who are so important to us. For me, it was even an example of what I could be doing so much better. Just think of the people who could be reading this story and applying it to their own lives. Thank you for sharing with all of us.


View My Stats
Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's For Dinner?

 
Powered by Blogger